Environmental Management

Hazardous Materials

SARA (EPCRA) Chemical Reporting
Community Right-to-Know (EPCRA) at IU

Reporting at IU Bloomington is done via an online reporting tool. Use the links in the menu at the left to access the reporting tool. Internet Explorer is required to report in SARA. No other browsers are supported.

SARA stands for the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act. This law was enacted in 1986 and one section concerns Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know (EPCRA). EPCRA mandates that entities provide information about chemicals that they store and use. This regulation is intended to encourage and support community planning efforts at the state and local level s and to provide citizens and local governments with information concerning potential chemical hazards present in their communities.

What this means for IU is that we are required to submit an annual report to state and local authorities on the types, quantities and locations of chemicals that are used on campus. Reportable chemicals are Extremely Hazardous Substances (EHSs) that are stored in quantities greater than their Threshold Planning Quantity (TPQ) and all other chemicals stored in quantities greater than 10,000 pounds.  If your department has chemicals, then you likely need to report.

Individual chemical amounts are aggregated for the entire university, so even if you don't store chemicals in amounts greater than the Threshold Planning Quantity, you might still need to report. Note that research labs are exempt but teaching labs and chemical stockrooms that supply research labs are not exempt.

If you reported last year, you have been provided with the data you submitted last year for your convenient updating including addition and deletion of chemicals. If you are a new reporter you will need to fill out a Department Information Form to get started. In addition, we are asking everyone to update their contact information on the Department Information Form. Make sure all blanks are filled in. If you have any questions, contact Dan Derheimer at 5-3234 or Michael Dorsett at 5-0857.