Biological Safety

Import Permits

Biological Safety Compliance Services - Import Permits

I want to apply for an import permit. Is there someone I can contact for help?

The Biosafety Office provides assistance with import permits. Contact the Biosafety Office.

When is an import permit needed?

According to Code of the Federal Regulations Title 42 Part 71.54 Etiologic agents, hosts, and vectors. “(a) A person may not import into the United States, nor distribute after importation, any etiologic agent or any arthropod or other animal host or vector of human disease, or any exotic living arthropod or other animal capable of being a host or vector of human disease unless accompanied by a permit issued by the Director.” This includes microorganisms and human or animal tissues suspected to contain an infectious or etiologic agent.